Perth Stadium looks likely to offer 3,000 fewer general admission tickets for AFL Aussie rules football games.
The Western Australia’s premier Mark McGowan has pointed the finger at the previous government for signing the deal with a false promise.
Ten thousand general admission tickets were promised last year when former premier Colin Barnett was in charge. There now seems to be only 7,000 available, to which McGowan said, “a contract’s a contract. I don’t want us to be sued”.
“We’ll make it work as best we can with the arrangement that’s been signed up,” he told reporters on Monday, according to the News.com.au website.
Despite these claims, there had been nothing signed by the Barnett government for the 60,000-seat stadium, according to opposition leader and former treasurer, Mike Nahan.
“When we left government, negotiations were still live between AFL, Dockers, Eagles and the Football Commission,” Nahan said.
Nahan reportedly accused McGowan of attempting to shirk his responsibility of leadership by continuously blaming the Barnett government.
Meanwhile, naming rights for Perth Stadium remain on the agenda, with McGowan hoping to keep ‘Perth’ in the name. He also labelled the delayed footbridge project as a “disaster,” but could not confirm a change of contractors.
Nahan conceded the previous government had made an error by offshoring the contract.
“It should have been done here. It would have cost more to be done here … we went for the lower cost option and that hasn’t worked out adequately,” he said.
Image: Samuel Wiki