The Society of Ticket Agents and Retailers (STAR) and the National College Creative Industries have developed a ticketing industry apprenticeship designed to train the industry leaders of the future.

STAR is the self-regulatory body for the UK entertainment ticket industry. Its members include ticket agents, arenas, theatres, music venues, producers and promoters throughout London and the UK.

Ticketing employers can now recruit apprentices to assist with the delivery of ticketing and customer service.

Steve Haworth, head of sales and ticketing for the Royal Shakespeare Company, said: “STAR has recognised the need for structured training for young people working in ticketing by informing and supporting the development of a nationwide apprenticeship.

“While most of us found ourselves working in ticketing rather than making a conscious choice, this apprenticeship and qualification helps identify to young people that ticketing can be a real career choice. STAR’s determination to lead and drive this on behalf of the industry is inspiring.”

STAR said it has been one of their long-held ambitions to initiate a training programme in the sector, having established support for this within the industry, including from a number of key employers.

Ticketing employers will be responsible for paying the apprentices and the ‘on the job’ training they will receive. Industry experts will assess apprentices throughout their time on the programme as they work towards their qualification in Customer Service Practitioner – Ticketing.

Will Quekett, a member of the STAR Council who has led the work on establishing ticketing apprenticeships, said: “I am so pleased we have finally reached this point. The ticketing industry will really benefit from these apprenticeship opportunities, as will the young people that receive training.”

The ‘off the job’ training will be delivered by the National College Creative Industries through workshops at a venue close to the apprentice’s workplace.

David Pitcher, principal at the College, said: “National College aims to increase social mobility and engage industry experts like STAR directly with trainees, with bespoke fast tracks to great training, both at college and at work.

“Critically, our training ensures improved career prospects and specialist training not well served or accessible in the UK. We can only be successful if we work with industry partners like STAR, in regional clusters with great job opportunities, to build training programmes.”

Employers can start taking on apprentices now and the National College Creative Industries can help with the search, including advice on advertising and recruitment.

The cost for training an apprentice is £4,000 to levy-paying employers. Only 10 per cent of this cost is payable by non-levy-paying employers, with the remaining 90 per cent funded by the Education Skills Funding Agency.

Image: Pixabay