Ryan Adams has cancelled his upcoming tour in the UK and Ireland amid allegations of sexual misconduct, leaving thousands of fans out of pocket and demanding refunds.

Ticketmaster released a statement on Twitter, which has been shared by tour venues such as the Royal Albert Hall, Dublin’s Olympia theatre and the O2 Academy in Newcastle.

It read: “Full refunds to ticket purchasers from authorised outlets will be processed by end of day on Monday.”

Several women have accused him of physiological abuse in a recent report by the New York Times, in which they claim he promised to accelerate their music careers. The FBI announced it is looking into whether he sent explicit texts to an underage teenager, which the songwriter “unequivocally” denies.

The Royal Albert Hall was the only venue to offer the Guardian a response to demands for refunds. They told the newspaper: “The venue is being hired by a third party promoter, SJM, for the Ryan Adams concerts. The promoter has advised us that the concerts are still scheduled to go ahead. We are continuing to monitor this situation very closely.”

Ticketmaster had previously told fans seeking refunds: “Ticketmaster only offers exchanges or refunds for tickets where the event is cancelled – this is set by the venue and event organisers as it is on their behalf that we sell tickets. I’m sorry we’re unable to help further with this.”

Image: Drew de F Fawkes