Madonna has cancelled her ninth Madame X tour date due to injuries, with the first night of her fifteen date residency at the London Palladium called off.

The 61-year-old pop star said she had been “told to rest for a few days” by doctors, and therefore cancelled last night’s (Monday’s) show.

Madonna assured fans that tomorrow’s (Wednesday’s) performance at the iconic 2,286-capacity venue would go ahead as scheduled.

She said in a statement: “I am deeply sorry that I have to cancel my concert scheduled for Monday 27 Jan in London. Under doctors’ guidance I have been told to rest for a few days.

“As you all know I have injuries that have plagued me since the beginning of the tour but I must always listen to my body and put my health first.

“The last thing I want to do is disappoint my fans or compromise the integrity of my show. So I will keep going until I cannot. Again I am deeply sorry to disappoint anyone and please know that it hurts me more than you can imagine to have to cancel any shows.”

Madonna cancelled a concert in Lisbon earlier this month, just 45 minutes prior to the start of the gig, which she later apologised for on Instagram, citing injuries.

She said: “Sorry I had to cancel tonight but I must listen to my body and rest”. Another Lisbon show was cancelled two days later “due to pain from her ongoing injuries” and “the need to mitigate more significant damage from this injury”.

In November, full refunds were issued to fans in Boston after the Queen of Pop cancelled all three tour dates, citing “doctors orders” to rest.

Image: chrisweger