The Brazilian Grand Prix is aiming to welcome spectators in November, while cultural institutions in Victoria, Australia have been given a reopening date…

Brazilian Grand Prix

Organisers of Formula One’s Brazilian Grand Prix said spectators should be allowed access to the November event, despite the regulator banning fans to attend its events.

The Fédération Internationale de l’Automobile (FIA) is currently reworking the F1 calendar after the COVID-19 pandemic affected its original season plans.

The F1 regulator has also reportedly developed several measures to prevent the virus spreading, including limiting teams to 80 staff who will be regularly tested and flown in on chartered planes, as well as banning spectators.

For the 2019 edition of the Brazilian Grand Prix, more than 158,200 spectators attended the Sao Paulo track.

Event organiser Tamas Rohonyi told Forbes that “preparations for the Brazilian Grand Prix are on schedule and we are certain that the famous Interlagos circuit will be the stage of yet another fascinating race.

“The event will be run under the existing contract without difficulty. We expect confirmation of the November date by the FIA to put tickets on sale like the other flyaway races.”

Victorian Culture

Cultural institutions in the Victorian territory of Australia will reopen their doors on June 27, the Minister for Creative Industries Martin Foley announced today (Monday).

Venues such as the National Gallery of Victoria, Melbourne Museum (including IMAX Melbourne), Scienceworks, State Library Victoria and parts of Arts Centre Melbourne will be opened at the end of the month with social distancing measures in place.

The Arts Centre Melbourne will not be producing shows and performances just yet, though the venue will allow self-guided tours through the Australian Music Vault and the Ghostly Machines: a technology-based production.

Arts Centre Melbourne chief executive Claire Spencer said: “We desperately want to open our theatres to the many incredibly talented performers and artists who call our stages home.

“The reality is that how we present performances in the coming months may look very different. But we are a creative industry and I’m confident we’ll come up with some very creative solutions.”

Premier League refunds

Newcastle United has remained silent about refunding season ticket holders after the Premier League announced it would go ahead behind closed doors.

The Premier League last week confirmed that it will resume its 2019-20 season on June 17, provided that all safety requirements are in place.

Since the announcement on Thursday, Newcastle United fans have not received any communication from the club about refunds, while other clubs in the league have offered refunds or the option to donate the money to charity or club foundations.

The last Premier League game to be played was Leicester City’s defeat of Aston Villa on March 9. The competition was suspended on March 13 due to the COVID-19 outbreak.

Meanwhile, Wolverhampton Wanderers this weekend announced that season ticket holders will be issued pro-rata credit towards their 2020-21 season ticket. The credit will be automatically applied at renewal. For those who would prefer a full refund, a reimbursement is available.

Also announced this weekend, Leicester City is offering refunds, with season ticket holders able to keep hold of their priority until an update is issued on next season.

Several clubs announced their refund policies prior to Thursday’s announcement, with most clubs confirming they will issue full refunds to fans for tickets and season tickets

The Premier League also announced last week that it has a neutral-venue contingency after the national lead for football policing, Deputy Chief Constable Mark Roberts, said up to six of the remaining 2019-20 season matches could be moved from the stadia of the home clubs.

Image: Morio