UEFA has said it has no plans to change the format Euro 2020 amid reports it is considering moving next summer’s delayed tournament to Russia.

The governing body for European football, which in March postponed the event by a year due to the COVID-19 pandemic, maintains it will still be held across 12 stadiums in 12 different nations from June 11 to July 11 next year.

French newspaper Le Parisien reported earlier this week that installing Russia, which hosted the FIFA World Cup in 2018, as the only host for the finals was one option being considered by the governing body.

The governing body’s statement read: “UEFA intends to hold Euro 2020 in the format and the venues confirmed earlier this year and we are working closely with all host cities on preparations.

“Given the uncertainties surrounding Covid – over which neither UEFA nor the local organising bodies have control – it is currently too early to say whether those games in June and July will have restrictions either on fans or even their staging.

“UEFA’s efforts are currently focused on planning for a tournament in all 12 venues with fans.Decisions that run counter to that plan could be made much nearer the time if necessary but there are presently no plans to change any venue.”

The cities due to host matches are Amsterdam, Baku, Bilbao, Bucharest, Budapest, Copenhagen, Dublin, Glasgow, London, Munich, Rome and St Petersburg.

The tournament had been scheduled to kick off in Rome’s Stadio Olimpico on June 12. London’s Wembley Stadium was to serve as the centrepiece of Euro 2020, with the final, semi-finals, Round of 16 and group stage games taking place in London.

It was reported earlier this week that Wembley Stadium is in danger of losing the final should fans remain banned from Premier League stadiums.

In late September, the UK government halted plans to allow 30 per cent of a venue’s capacity back on October 1, along with the pilot events programme, which had been hosting test events with up to 1,000 spectators.

At the time, the Prime Minister said restrictions are likely to remain in place for the next six months.

Image: Wembley Stadium