Featured News

Spezia Calcio to donate 50% of ticket sales in support of Ukraine

Italian Serie A club Spezia Calcio has announced that it will be donating 50% of its ticket sales from the upcoming match between Spezia and Cagliari Calcio to charity Save the Children, to show its solidarity with Ukraine.

Ukraine was invaded by Russia on February 24 and has since been subjected to numerous attacks and many have tried to flee to safety. It is estimated that at least two million people have now left Ukraine, according to Filippo Grandi, United Nations (UN) High Commissioner for Refugees.

The match takes place this Saturday and though Italy still has a 75% cap on its stadiums, Spezia will symbolically put the remaining 25% of seats on sale to raise further funds. While fans will not be able to attend the game if they purchase these symbolic virtual tickets, it gives them the opportunity to donate to Save the Children.

For every virtual ticket that is purchased, a t-shirt will be made to occupy the empty seat at Spezia Calcio’s Stadio Alberto Picco, which boasts a capacity of 10,336.

The club said: “On the occasion of the match Spezia-Cagliari on March 12, Spezia Calcio has decided to support Ukraine through the organisation Save the Children, to help concretely all children who at this time are living unimaginable situations.

“The war in Ukraine is forcing entire families in basements and bomb shelters to escape the explosions. Save the Children is working to provide them with basic necessities and save innocent lives.”

Image: IVSP1972/CC BY-SA 4.0/Edited for size