A second person has died following a crowd crush at Brixton O2 Academy last week.
Gaby Hutchinson was working at the Asake gig as a contracted security provider and died in the early hours of yesterday morning, according to police. They were 23.
A third person, a 21-year-old woman, remains in hospital in a critical condition.
Metropolitan Police launched an investigation to work out what happened at the concert on Thursday night last week (December 15), where it has been reported that many tried to get into the event without tickets.
Chief Superintendent Colin Wingrove, who is the policing commander for Lambeth and Southwark, said: “It is devastating news that a second person has lost their life following the events on Thursday. I wish to express my heartfelt condolences to Gaby’s family at this unimaginably difficult time.”
Officers are currently reviewing CCTV, phone footage, speaking to witnesses and conducting forensic examinations.
The Met Police will then assess the evidence to establish whether any criminal offences were committed, as with any police investigation.
According to a release from the Met Police, the cordons outside the venue have been removed but remain in place inside the Brixton O2 Academy, while officers continue to investigate.
“At this time we have established that the three (people) who were critically injured, including Rebecca Ikumelo and Gabrielle Hutchinson who have tragically died, were all in the foyer of the building,” said the Metropolitan Police.
“An online page for the submission of photos, videos and information has been set up and we would ask anyone with such material to use this facility. There were around 4,000 potential witnesses present at the time of this incident and we urge any members of the public with information to come forward.
“Police officers were initially called to the location at 9.04pm following reports of a large crowd gathered outside the venue. A further call was made at 9.35pm reporting people were attempting to force entry into the venue.”
The statement added: “We have made a referral to the Independent Office for Police Conduct as is standard national practice following all incidents where police have been in attendance and members of the public have died or been seriously injured.”