Head of Commercial
Head of Commercial
The Club is seeking an experienced Head of Commercial to play a leading role in the continued development of commercial revenue. We are seeking a well-connected individual able to motivate and inspire the commercial team.
We have a unique and proud history – a club that refused to go away, a club now owned by its fans back at its spiritual home, Plough Lane. The facilities at The Cherry Red Records Stadium would not be out of place much higher up the football pyramid. This role will play a vital part in helping the Club importantly realise the potential, both on matchdays and non-matchdays.
The role will predominantly focus around identifying suitable club partners from a variety of industry sectors and building bespoke packages that help meet and exceed the expectations of each brand and company. This position will involve working alongside the commercial team in the retention, growth and delivery of a wide-variety of existing, and in many cases long standing, commercial agreements.
Furthermore, the role will be responsible for the all-important activation and delivery of all current and new partnership agreements.
Key Responsibilities Main elements of role:
- Responsible for delivering all appropriate sales and business-to business related targets across the organisation, retaining current business and exploring all new opportunities.
- Create a detailed commercial framework to firstly attract new club partners and then to ensure professional and exceptional delivery of those agreements.
- Developing a detailed commercial offering to local / national and international businesses.
- Creation of digital assets (alongside other departments) to showcase the various offeringsand USP’s of the club. Including but not limited to: digital brochures, video content,
photography, 360 degree tours etc.
- Working alongside other departments to ensure we have a robust and deliverable sales andmarketing plan for all non-matchday offerings. This includes the carefully identification, targeting and communicating to the very large business network that exists in South-West London.
- Overseeing sales funnel management to accurately track progress with prospects and clients.
- Lead on developing sales across a wide variety of assets including pitch-side LED boards, digital platforms, streaming, social media, programmes, printed literature and playing / training kits.
- Identifying commercial opportunities and propositions that appeal to large national / international companies who are seeking to align themselves to the specific values, ethos and vision of AFC Wimbledon.
- To ensure a year-round activation plan is built and delivered upon for all commercial partners that seeks to exceed their expectations. Ensuring the partner’s USP’s / KPI’s are
fully understood and brought into all partnership activation. Developing, alongside other departments and the partner, a series of engaging, timely and relevant content to meet those KPI’s and objectives.
- To play a leading role in the excellent delivery of matchday hospitality to clients and partners.
- To identify and deliver on opportunities connected to the Club’s Women’s & Girls programmes.
- Identify incremental revenue opportunities.
- To work alongside the Club’s connected charities to devise new revenue streams.
- To help the club achieve season-on-season growth in commercial revenues.
- To work alongside the Club’s Senior Leadership Team in creating a workable, relevant andbeneficial platform for the Club to tell it’s unique story, the greatest story in football, to a
new, larger, global audience.
- Develop a year-round plan of internally and profitable held events including ‘An Eveningwith’ and Gala Dinners.
- Developing platforms for club partners to engage with each other, sharing business practicesand potentially doing business with each other.
- Building a series of networking events with club partners, fans and local businesses – makingThe Cherry Red Records Stadium the place to network, learn & engage.
- Liaison with ex-players to bring to life our matchdays for hospitality guests.
- Overseeing use of the Club’s CRM system and associated tools to ensure prospectcommunication and engagement is progressive and forward-thinking.
- Creation of year-round, timely and relevant communication with the club’s partners / fans /stakeholders and the local business community.
- Day-to-day liaison with club departments to ensure timely creation and release ofcommercial messages and engagement with fellow partners and supporters.
- Introduce partnership tiers and deliverables to ensure maximum visibility for all.
- Networking with high net-worth individuals to increase awareness and use of the Club’sfacilities.
- Work alongside the Club’s Managing Director in creating a deliverable sales plan for the 3rdfloor of the main stand.
- Play the leading role in identifying opportunities relevant to the large range of differentbusinesses operating in South-West London. Approx 89% of businesses in the Borough of Merton employ less than 10 employees – the Head of Commercial will seek to find workable packages for such companies whilst ensuring we have an array of packages for national and international brands to develop an association with the Club.
- Ensuring that all club departments are communicated with in a timely and accurate manner to ensure the smooth delivery of various partnership agreements.
- Produce a multi-year commercial strategy alongside Managing Director and colleagues.
- Management of sales targets for commercial team members.
- Devise new revenue streams including, but not limited to, concerts and additional pitchhires.
What success will look like:
- Meeting and exceeding commercial budgets.
- Sourcing of 3-4 new national / international brands.
- Growth in non-matchday venue usage, revenue and profit contribution.
- Being viewed as Best in Class for sponsorship and partnership acquisition, retention &activation within football and sport in general.
- Retention of 90% of current club partners.
- Exceptional matchday experiences.
• Thinking outside the box in the creation of engaging partnership content that resonates with its audience(s).
- 4 plus years commercial experience within sport.
- London based on ability to re-locate with ease to local area.
- Exceptional presentation skills – written and verbal.
- Experience in use of CRM systems e.g. Sales Force.
- Experience in building, monitoring and delivery of commercial budgets – income andexpenditure.
- An excellent networker.
- Ability to adapt quickly to situations.
- Ability to motivate the team.
- Proven track record of delivering progressive sales growth.
- An in-depth understanding of ways to monetise digital assets.
- Able to work all home match days and major events.
- Ability to meet demands of all sponsors and partners.
- Self-motivated with ability to work as part of a team.
- Demonstrate delivery of partnership agreements that has led to renewals and contractextensions.
- IT literate.Desired: Driving licence
Salary: Industry competitive and based on experience
AFC Wimbledon is committed to the principle of equal opportunity in employment and its employment policies for recruitment are designed to ensure that no job applicant or employee receives less favourable treatment on the grounds of age, disability, gender re-assignment, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity/paternity, race, religion or belief, sex or sexual orientation.
AFC Wimbledon is committed to safeguarding all children, young people and adults are risk involved in its activities and events. The group recognizes its responsibility to safeguard the welfare of vulnerable groups by a commitment to procedures to protect them. The group additionally expects all staff and volunteers to fully support and promote these commitments.