Featured News

VIEWPOINT: Sports Ticketing – A failed (and failing) market

The sports ticketing market is estimated to be worth US$45bn annually, but the current business ecosystem means a lot of that value is slipping away from the primary rightholders who create the entertainment, says Vienna-based mobile ticketing distribution specialists Keyper.

What are the reasons for these lost revenues?

Fans want to share tickets
At present, there is no adequate widespread technology that allows fans to distribute their own tickets, with the club retaining control of the pricing and the data. Fans have a problem when they can’t get to every game. The secondary market promises a solution, but it’s only for the top clubs and the sold-out games, but not for the 90% of the rest.

It’s a trade-off between how easy it is to transfer tickets and to leave it and lose money. When anyone buys tickets, the reality is that the buyer will give away some of those purchased tickets to family, friends or colleagues. The ticket-buyer will only only use one ticket. All the other tickets go to other people. But who are these other people?

Reduce No-Shows. Get to know the rest
A typical football stadium game records a No-Show rate of some 10%. Empty seats not only impact the stadium atmosphere but also reduce the potential matchday spend.

The level of No-Shows can be reduced by addressing the real need of the ticket-buyers… this is not actually the resale of tickets at the highest price. Instead, the real need of the fan is to give away tickets which cannot be used: either as a gift or by selling them on. And they want to do this in a very quick, easy, secure and mobile way. Every person on a seat will bring the clubs extra revenue and the real atmosphere is not disappearing.

Your fans. Your data
The average sports ticket buyer in Europe buys 2.5 tickets for each game. So, in any stadium 40% of the guests are buyers (and the club should have their data). But the flip side is that the club knows nothing about the other 60% of the attendance who have been given tickets or purchased them via independent sources. This 60% is the ‘invisible majority’ at the stadium who cannot be reached with future offers or re-engaged later. Clubs increasingly need the history of fans transaction data to combine them with content engagement data and other sources of big data to push interesting information at the right time to the right person.

Editor’s Notes: Keyper says it offers the only solution provider that enables its customers to distribute and manage any form of ticket usage rights without restrictions, fast, secure, easy and mobile, as well as for free or by payment. The company’s sports clients include FK Austria Wien, Karlsruher SC and FC Basel 1893 – and it also has integrations currently with many platforms include Jet Ticket, SAP and BFN. Find out more here.