StubHub president Sukhinder Singh Cassidy has announced her departure from the company, as the resale giant confirmed 200 permanent job cuts.

Singh Cassidy (pictured at TheTicketingBusiness Forum 2019) will be replaced on an interim basis from June 1 by Jill Krimmel, StubHub’s general manager of North America, until its $4bn merger with Viagogo is given regulatory approval by the UK’s competition regulator.

Singh Cassidy, who took up her position in April 2018, said that she made the decision to depart some months ago, well before the impact of the COVID-19 outbreak on the ticketing sector.

“The past two years at StubHub have been an incredibly rewarding leadership journey, and one that I’m extremely grateful for,” said Singh Cassidy, who will remain at StubHub in an advisory capacity.

“When Viagogo and I agreed many months ago that I’d be moving on post-sale of the company, I knew it would be hard to leave. But I felt certain then, as I continue to do now, that StubHub and Stubbers will be successfully stewarded by a new set of leaders, especially with Jill Krimmel at the helm, and the incredible people that I’ve come to know and work with through my time here.

“When I came to StubHub, I said that this leadership opportunity was a privilege and indeed it has been. I have gotten to work alongside a group of people whose values I deeply respect and we have truly accomplished a lot in the last two years.  This included launching  new products and services, building out an incredible leadership team, selling the company in a multi-billion-dollar deal, and more recently, navigating together an unprecedented crisis.”

Speaking about the challenges ahead, Krimmel said: “I’m incredibly excited to be a part of the history of rebuilding the live-events industry.

“There’s no doubt that this is a challenging time in our space – but it’s also one with an abundance of opportunity. StubHub is uniquely positioned as a leader in the industry to help facilitate the return of millions of people to live events.”

Singh Cassidy’s departure comes as the San Francisco-headquartered company confirmed most of the staff furloughed in March will now also be leaving.

On March 25 it was reported that two-thirds of StubHub’s North American employees had been asked to take an unpaid leave of absence due to the impact of the pandemic until June 1, at which point the measure could be extended. The announcement in March meant only around 150 employees were left to run the North American business.

Confirming the redundancies, a StubHub spokesperson said in a statement: “Given the impact of the coronavirus in the US, we made the difficult decision to create a leaner, more-focused StubHub organisation in North America that is reflective of the reshaped live events industry.

“Unfortunately, this means that we are eliminating a number of roles across the company. These actions allow StubHub to maintain a lower cost structure and better align it with business volumes that will scale back up over an extended period.

“In North America, we’re impacting approximately 200 roles, which is roughly aligned to the number of roles we previously furloughed.”