MVT has unveiled plans for a virtual festival to support Scottish venues at risk, while BTS has broken the record for the largest virtual paid concert…
Music Venue Trust has today announced the #SaveOurScottishVenues virtual festival to support Scotland’s grassroots music venues who are facing closure due to Covid-19.
The virtual event, set to take place this Friday across 3 ‘stages’, will be streamed on livefrom.events and will feature recorded performances by Scottish musicians.
The first artists to be announced include KT Tunstall, Wet Wet Wet and The Xcerts.
Festival host Vic Galloway will also be talking to musicians and venue reps about the importance of these at-risk venues.
Tickets to watch the festival live, in real-time cost £5, while adding the ability to re-watch on Saturday and Sunday costs £8.
The venues that will benefit from ticket sales and donations include Sneaky Pete’s in Edinburgh, the Glad Café in Glasgow and PJ Malloys in Dunfermline, among many others.
Beverley Whitrick, strategic director, Music Venue Trust, said: “There are over 60 Scottish members of the Music Venues Alliance, each of which is essential to the music ecosystem as social, economic and cultural hubs within their communities.
“The love that artists have for these spaces and the people who run them is clear from everyone stepping forward to help raise money to support venues through the crisis. Please enjoy these events and donate what you can to help.”
K-pop super group BTS has broken the record for the largest ‘ticketed’ virtual concert with its Bang Bang Con: The Live.
The paid virtual gig, which was set in BTS’s virtual house and streamed using six-multi-view screens, hit a peak of 756,000 live viewers in 107 countries.
The project allowed fans to be able to choose their favourite angle from the six screens on the same display.
The event was organised by the group’s label, Big Hit Entertainment, in partnership with US livestreaming company Kiswe Mobile.
Last week, Big Hit signed a memorandum of understanding with Kiswe, with the partnership to provide what is described as “one-stop service in the music industry”.
The alliance aims to offer an improved online concert experience, as well as a more efficient method of content delivery targeting global fans.
Novak Djokovic has defended his charity tennis tournament in Serbia after facing criticism over the large crowds gathered without regard for social distancing on the opening day of the Adria Tour.
The world No.1, who organised the event, said it was not up to him to make the calls about what is right or wrong for health, adding, “we are doing what the Serbian government is telling us and hopefully we soon will get back on tour collectively.”
Professional tennis is only set to resume in August, though Serbia has lifted the ban on outdoor public gatherings, with social distancing rules in place.
The Adria Tour faced criticism after the stands at the 4,000-capacity Novak Tennis Centre in Belgrade were full to the brim on Saturday.
The organisers initially put 1,000 tickets on sale, which sold out in just seven minutes. After the Serbian authorities relaxed the lockdown, another 1,000 tickets were put on sale and they sold out, with the organisers stating that an additional 2,000 tickets were distributed to various sponsors.
The event’s third leg of four, scheduled to take place in Montenegro, has been cancelled due to coronavirus concerns.