Scotland and Wales are set to ease COVID-19 restrictions on events next week, although both UK countries will hold off on lifting all limits until August.

Scotland’s first minister Nicola Sturgeon confirmed that the country will move to a “modified” form of level 0 on July 19 as part of the government’s five-tier system of COVID-19 restrictions.

Outdoor standing events in Scotland will continue to be capped at a capacity of 1,000, while seated or open space events can welcome 2,000 attendees. The capacity for seated indoor events will go up to 400 and event organisers are now able to apply to stage larger events.

In indoor public spaces, the physical distance between different households will be reduced from two metres to one metre. Scotland is likely to see all restrictions on social distancing and capacity caps lifted from August 9.

In indoor public spaces the physical distance requirement will be reduced from two metres to one metre for different household groups.

Despite the announcement, two Scottish festivals have today revealed they have cancelled their 2021 events due to a lack of government-backed insurance. The Party at the Palace and Party at The Park festivals, scheduled to take place in August, were set to welcome upwards of 36,000 fans – but have been cancelled due to “conflicting advice and unclear guidance.”

Meanwhile, Wales will see events restarting on July 17 as it moves into Alert Level 1.

First minister Mark Drakeford confirmed the move yesterday (Thursday) with indoor events now able to welcome 1,000 people seated or 200 standing.

Wales will move to Alert Level 0 on August 7, when almost all of its COVID-19 limits will be removed – though some will remain.

From next month, capacity caps will end, but attendees will be required to wear face masks in public places.

Drakeford told a press conference: “There will continue to be some important protections to help keep us all safe, especially those who are clinically vulnerable and who are perhaps the most anxious about an easing of restrictions.”

Following the news, Welsh festival Green Man confirmed the 2021 event would go ahead in August and has revealed the line-up.

The festival, which usually welcomes 6,000 fans, said last month it was waiting for further advice from the government and holding out hope for a COVID insurance package before deciding whether to move forward with the event.

Green Man owner Fiona Stewart said: “At times it seemed like a dream that we would ever be back in the fields together, I can’t tell you how much it means to me, and the thousands of people that rely upon and make Green Man happen, that it’s actually going ahead. We cannot wait to see people enjoy the festival again!”

The moves by Wales and Scotland follows England’s announcement that the live industry will be able to resume at full capacity from July 19.

Image: Stewpots90Attribution-Share Alike 4.0 International/Edited for size