German Bundesliga club Eintracht Frankfurt has said that its fans will not be allowed to attend its Round of 16 UEFA Champions League game away at SSC Napoli, as Italy’s Interior Ministry is planning to stop the sale of any tickets to visiting spectators.
Eintracht lost the first leg 2-0 at Deutsche Bank Park, and expected just under 3,000 fans to travel to Diego Armando Maradona Stadium (pictured) in Naples for the second leg.
In a statement yesterday (Tuesday), the club said: “Eintracht Frankfurt was informed late last night by UEFA that the Italian Ministry of the Interior is this morning going to issue an injunction against SSC Napoli, whereby the club is prohibited from selling tickets to Eintracht Frankfurt supporters for the UEFA Champions League round of 16 second leg on Wednesday 15 March.”
The club added: “This would also include the total away allocation of 2,700 tickets, of which 2,400 are in the away section, which Eintracht Frankfurt is entitled to under UEFA regulations.”
According to reports, fans of both teams clashed before the first leg in Frankfurt with police labelling that game as high-risk.
Eintracht and Marseille were charged by UEFA with nine offences, including racist behaviour from Eintracht fans, following their Champions League tie last year. Marseille’s five charges included throwing objects, lighting fireworks and the use of laser pointers.
Eintracht was charged with racist behaviour, lighting fireworks, throwing objects and acts of damage.