Ticketmaster and organisers of the 2019 Cricket World Cup have apologised after thousands of fans were mistakenly informed by the tournament’s ticketing partner that they had secured seats for next year’s event in England and Wales.
Ticketmaster on Friday sent out emails with a heading ‘Cricket World Cup 2019 – confirmation of payment’. However, more than 4,000 people were later told the emails informing them of success in the ballot process were sent in error.
The emails were sent after customers had earlier been informed that they had been unsuccessful in the ballot process. Ticketmaster has said no money was taken from those affected and has apologised for the error.
“A number of CWC19 ticketing emails were sent out in error,” read a statement from tournament organisers reported by the BBC. “Ticketmaster will contact any affected customers directly. We apologise for any inconvenience or confusion.”
In its most recent update on the ticketing process, the International Cricket Council (ICC) in September reported that tickets for the World Cup were close to selling out.
The ICC issued a statement on September 27 after the general sale phase of the ticketing programme opened. This followed a short priority window for fans who had missed out on tickets during previous ballots this summer.
The two previous ballot phases saw the ICC receive 2.9 million applications for the 800,000 tickets available. As of 4pm BST on September 27, the ICC said that less than 20,000 tickets remained via its official ticketing website, which is operated by Ticketmaster.
The 2019 World Cup will run from May 30 to July 14. Lord’s and The Oval (London), Edgbaston (Birmingham), Old Trafford (Manchester), Headingley (Leeds), Trent Bridge (Nottingham), The Riverside Durham (Chester-le-Street), County Ground (Bristol), Hampshire Bowl (Southampton – pictured) and County Ground (Taunton) will host games in England, with Sophia Gardens in Cardiff, Wales also staging matches.