Over 3.25 million Paris 2024 tickets snapped up in first sales phase

Featured image credit: Rafael Kellermann Streit on Unsplash

Paris 2024 organisers have revealed that 3.25 million tickets were sold during the first ‘Make Your Games’ pack sales phase.

According to organisers, this is the largest ever sale of tickets in France. 

For the first time in the history of the Olympic Games, tickets were available from a single platform, with purchase timeslots allocated through a draw. 

This helped to manage the flow of buyers and limited major waiting times. Organisers said that this helped to create a relatively smooth experience.

French Olympic fans made up two thirds of ticket buyers, with the rest made up of representatives from 158 different countries. 

During the first onsale, 45% of buyers were women and 44% were aged under 35. 

Tickets were available to purchase in packs to promote the diversity of sports on offer. Tickets for climbing and BMX freestyle sold out on the first day, while tickets for fencing, judo, breaking and track cycling sold out within just a few days. 

The sports for which the most tickets were sold included football, athletics, rugby 7s, basketball and volleyball.

Nearly half of the tickets for the Paris 2024 Olympics were available at €50 (£44/$53) or less, with prices starting as low as €24. 

However, buyers have voiced their frustration over how expensive it is to purchase a pack of three sports. A recent poll found that four out of five French people thought that tickets for next year’s event were too expensive. 

Paris 2024 president Tony Estanguet defended the ticket prices and said that they were in line with those sold by London 2012, and rugby and football world cups. 

Registration for the second phase opens on March 15 and will run until April 20, with the sales phase itself set to start on May 11. This phase will be dedicated to single ticket purchases as well as the Opening and Closing ceremonies. 

Around 10 million tickets will be made available overall for the Olympic Games, with 80% made available directly to the public. The other 20% will be distributed through the Games’ official hospitality supplier, On Location, as well as Paris 2024 stakeholders. 

Paris 2024 Olympic Games will take place from July 26 until August 11 next year.