Major events are set to resume in France this week after a series of cancellations and postponements due to widespread riots.
Ticketmaster is confident that tonight’s Depeche Mode gig in Bordeaux will go ahead, while there seems little concern from Stade De France about this weekend’s Muse show despite the high-profile cancellation of two sold-out Mylène Farmer concerts at the national stadium last weekend.
Events large and small were cancelled across the country due to the emergency services being required to deal with widespread rioting, which was triggered by the police shooting of a teenager in a Paris suburb last week.
Farmer, one of France’s most established music stars, said in a statement: “My thoughts are with those who were delighted to share with me these two evenings which promised to be magical […] and who had organised their transport and their accommodation sometimes for almost two years.
— Préfet de la Seine-Saint-Denis (@Prefet93) June 30, 2023
“I dreamed that we could love each other… I was waiting for this moment out of time to share with you this emotion, this unique vertigo that only you are capable of providing. Huge sadness. I love you.”
Farmer’s manager, Thierry Suc, said he is working with Stade De France to organise new dates for the cancelled concerts to be rescheduled.
As well as the Farmer concerts, the final night of the Fnac Live Paris festival outside Paris City Hall on Friday was also cancelled. Hervé, Eesah Yasuke and Ofenbach were among those due to perform. The Barrière Enghien Jazz Festival and Yardland music festival in other parts of the country were also called off by the authorities.
However, Friday night’s Elton John gig at Accor Arena did take place, with President Emmanuel Macron widely criticised for enjoying the show while tens of thousands of police officers dealt with rioters torching cars, looting stores and targeting town halls, state schools and state-owned properties in Paris, Marseille and other towns and cities.
— Megh Updates 🚨™ (@MeghUpdates) June 30, 2023